Thursday, November 5, 2009

Drawing the human figure from the inside out

Today we drew human figures. We started at the hips since they are the center of the body and we went on to draw everything else from there. We made everything out of ovals so it was a bunch of connecting ovals. We drew from the general to the more specific. It was hard to shade everything in so that it looked like a person wearing clothes instead of a bunch of ovals. My challenge was when one of the figures we had to draw was lying down in front of me so the figure was at an awkward angle for me to draw. When a person was standing up, I found it easier to draw them proportionally correct. The easiest part for me was drawing the legs. I am not sure why I just found it so much easier than everything else. Normally my drawing was too large to fit in a head so I had an odd looking headless person.

1 comment:

  1. so sometimes we are not only dealing with the proportions within the body but also with the proportion of the body on the page, right? you don't want the edge of the paper to be influencing your drawing so think about how big to make those first marks when you start. i think you realized a lot about this process when you had to draw alex laying down...a good moment. it's always important to draw what we actually see not what we think we see. good work today mia.

    ReplyDelete