Monday, January 3, 2011

Blindfold Drawing

When you first told us what we were going to do I was a little excited and a little dumbfounded. Sure I'd goofed around and done drawings with my eyes closed but they were always nonsensical and had no real purpose to them. I did not really know how to go about drawing a real place or a memory of myself in that place. I just winged it and obviously my result was pretty funny. There's something unnatural about giving yourself up to the darkness. We are so used to being able to see all the little details out there that when we can't, an almost immediate sense of fear overwhelms us. This is only natural. It was fascinating trying to create a matter very close to my heart without being able to see because I really had no idea what I was drawing or if I was drawing over something else for that matter. I just had to trust my instincts and the images I had in my head. I kind of just thought about everything I love about the place I drew and did not try to draw the actual place rather all the things that make it so special to me. I just began with one idea about hammocks and palm trees and from there the rest of my drawing evaporated into some weird mess of scribbles that do not really do my place/memory justice. When I could take off the blindfold I decided to draw more of me in the place and then show the other blindfolded drawing as if it was a dream I was thinking about at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment