Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Potential of Found Objects

I think that parts of objects have potential to become sculptures all have something in common. This is that they are things that all look like something else when put in many quantities. For example, the claws used in the first picture, I would not think of as a flower if it was just alone, but when put together they make an extraordinary flower. The artists could have just been going about their days as normal, when some object they come across just stands out to them. I know this is how I would find objects that I think have potential. For example, if I saw something shiny and silver sticking out of a recycling bin that didn't look like it belonged there, I might pull it out and examine it because it caught my eye. If I saw a stone that had the shape of an object, that would catch my eye. I am a very visual person, and I am always aware when I am walking of the objects around me. In the second picture, the artist saw a bicycle seat as a large behind and chair parts as arms and legs. You have to look at the world critically not just take it for what it is. You have to look for objects with potential in everything you do, every step you take.

No comments:

Post a Comment