Monday, October 19, 2009

Reflecting on Found Object Sculptures

When I began, all I had in my hand was a old pink Converse shoe. Inspired? I think not. Trying way to hard? I plead the 5th. My inspiration was quite lacking in the creativity department. I hadn't yet let go of my senses to not see things for what they really are, and for what they really are not. Then, silly old me stumbled upon the silly old pot you see as the body and head in my sculpture, "Lincoln in his Prime." At first I wanted to make a clock, but it looked, plainly, way too clocklike! So then I trashed that idea and in popped the next. When I saw the wooden piece I have as the base of the hat, that just happened to be under the old computer hub, the light bulb went off in my head, "ABRAHAM LINCOLN", it screamed. The other pieces were easy to accumulate as I had brought in a lot of, "little stuff." When I saw the arm I use as a nose, I tried it out as a mouth at first then said, "No way, this has got to be a nose if I ever saw one." The wooden pieces I use as legs I cut in half so that was quite simple. To attach the hat to the head, I had to hot glue a nail and drill it into the skull of the pot. This was the hardest part in making this quirky little man. I think what makes my sculpture successful is the hat, and the huge head and small body, which makes it funny but it works. The huge eyes also add oddness to the face but highlight his features... haha. The pieces I found to make the rest of the body really work especially the spoon for a mouth because you use a spoon to eat and you eat with your mouth. I could have spent more time playing with my larger objects to make a real thing before just winging it because I could have ended up with a bad result, which I do not think is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment